Imperial Fists Scouts

Here are a couple of test scouts, and I think I'm satisfied with the way they came out. I originally planned to give them black pants/sleeves, but decided I liked the contrast of the gray against the black boots and pouches.



My inspiration for the scheme came mostly from this art:




I left things pretty simple on these guys, didn't get into the details much beyond the markings. I think I'll finish the squad in this manner, and then put a little more into the sergeant.



Couple more scouts in the pipe, and then I'm thinking about some conversion work for the sarge, so stay tuned! Let me know what you think about the tests, and what I can do to make future scouts better.


Also, don't forget about the Mephiston Giveaway, which you can sign up for through tomorrow.  I'll announce the winner July 1st!


8 comments:

Tryzna said...

Looking great, especialy their faces as they are awesome!

pchappel said...

Looking really good... Not often I see the yellow armor looking that crisp...

Dat Chu said...

I love the dark grey pants a lot. The highlights on them makes them a beautiful combo with the yellow armour.

The free hand of the imperial fist symbol is lovely.

40K Giveaway said...

Thanks a lot guys! Those were actually the areas of focus for me...faces, armor, and cloth. It's nice to know that is coming through in the finished product!

Dat: I can't take credit for free-handing the symbols: I used decals and then applied a little paint over them. I think the added imperfections actually make it blend with the model better (matches the other imperfections!)

Redscorps said...

Damn dude those scouts are amazing, the facial detail impresses me the most out of everything it it's all expertly done and finished.

Well done!

EllisW said...

How do you achieve the 5 O'clock shadow? I've tried many diffrent ways and they always look like i slipped up and applied a wash or paint to the wrong area

Scullmeister said...

Awesome work! Love the five o'clock shadows. I find yellow really hard to do well, but you've absolutely nailed it. Can't wait to see more!

40K Giveaway said...

Thanks a lot guys! The feedback is much appreciated...after staring at a mini for so long during painting, I grow blind to whether it's 'good' or just 'good enough' and move on.

EllisW: For stubble, I pretty much use Ron's how-to. The only thing I have to add is about the brush. It needs to have a good belly (reservoir) to hold the thinned paint, but don't load it up very much. I use W&N Series 7 for this type work. I used to use bargain brushes, but the W&Ns are well worth it, night and day.