SCOUT SERGEANT - WIP

The scout sarge is almost finished. I still need to clean up some shadow lines, knock down some highlights, and add the squad markings. I decided that my fluff for this I.F. force and aesthetics would both be satisfied by painting the greaves black, honoring his fallen brothers and visually tying him to the rest of the scout squad. If you're wondering why he has them at all, check out this post.


Step-by-step for painting him in here:
I primed with gray and then a zenithal spray of white.  It doesn't show up in the pics very clearly, but this does provide some nice contrast and a guideline for later shading and highlights.



We're blocking, we're blocking, we're washing.  The yellow is blocked with my I.F. yellow mix, and the black is a 1:1 mix of Chaos Black and Fenris Grey. I apologize for calling out old paints, but I have a lot to use up! The red is a 1:1 mix of Blood and Dark Flesh, the gray is Codex, and the skin is Tallarn.  The yellow then receives a wash of Bestial Brown while the gray gets Badab.  Red gets good ol' Devlan Mud, and Ogryn over the Tallarn.


Okay, you caught me, this isn't really much of a step-by-step. I lost track of the camera work once I began bringing colors back up and highlighting. I also apologize for the myriad lighting setups...the background is the same in all the pics. 


Mostly happy with how he's turning out, but I think I made a mistake on the power fist. I should probably swap the wing and knuckle skulls colors...red wings and silver skulls. What do you guys think? It always sucks to go back and make those type of changes at this stage, but might be worth it in the long run.


 Hmmm, you can see some of those highlights I need to knock down...

That's it for now, be sure to check out the current Marine Squad Giveaway!

6 comments:

Denniz said...

The scout sergeant looks really great! I have always like the IF, but nerver painted on myself. I might have to:)

Gary Therkildsen said...

Yeah, I say switch the colors on the wings and knuckles. Pain in the butt, but would look really good. The rest of the piece is outstanding.

Son of Dorn said...

He's looking pretty badass! I think the Power Fist colors are alright, but if you really wanted to swap them, then go for it. I intend to do all my left-handed Power Fists, black with yellow digits. :)

Scullmeister said...

Wow! What a fantastic conversion/paint job! I've wondered how to add a powerfist on a Scout Sergeant and you've done a seemless example of one.

Thanks

Muninn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Muninn said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I'll trying the yellow technique next chance I get.