Scout Squad Finished!

The scouts are ready for the table! When it came to finishing off the sergeant, I just cleaned up the lines and took the black highlights down a little. I decided not to add many markings, just the 'X'. Pretty pleased with how they turned out, the time:result ratio was acceptable, and will hopefully improve over time.


 Sarge solos in here:


I went ahead and switched the colors on the power fist...check the original version here. I think I'm glad I did, but I'm sure not switching back now! What do you think?


I didn't pull my paint-over-decals shenanigans with the 'X', and the decal guideline was sorely missed. I can do freehand, but not without a lot of back and forth with the colors to keep it neat.


Scouts out! I think a squad of Terminators is up next, so stay tuned. For you guys with some 6th ed under your belt, should I do a shooty or TH/SS squad? I'll do both in the long run, but I'm interested to know what's proving effective in the new game.

8 comments:

IDICBeer said...

They look fantastic, brilliant work on the faces as well.

btw, any chance I can get my Blog on your Blogroll please? Got you on mine already, cheers Nick

Gary Therkildsen said...

Squad looks great; the sergeant too. I think switching the red from the knuckles to the wings was the right call, as it looks more balanced. I like the differing colors on knee pads and the "X" came out really well. BTW, what colors did you use on the pants?

Smytus said...

TH/SS only if you need IC or Tank killings, otherwise Shooty with an assault cannon is pretty strong.

Game aside, I would love to see what you would do with the TH/SS terminators.

pchappel said...

VERY nice! Very clean and the colors just look "right" on the lads...

Oh, thanks again for Mephiston! Got him in some of the WIP pics on my blog finally... Working mostly on Scouts and Sternguard at the moment though...

"Scouts out"? ex-GI? I ran a lot with the Cav Scouts myself, and haven't heard that phrase for a whie...

With the Terminators, in my DW army, the TH/SS is the way for the bulk of mine just because I still keep the CML on Fearless Troops... If they are Elites, I'd say the shooting would probably be the way to go, unless you intend to roll forward in a Land Raider Crusader and just use it as your line breaker unit...

Dat Chu said...

They look great. I love the X on the scout sarge. TH/SS is the way to go. For the cost of shooty termies, you can get better long range shooting else where.

Big Poppa Fresh said...

If you are running Lysander I would recommend shooty termies. Lysander can soak all the AP 2 wounds you need. Otherwise, I feel the 5++ is still a little too weak on their own. I would go with the cyclone since they keep their storm bolter for use with bolter drill. Personally, I plan on running a shooty squad with Lysander and a TH/SS squad with a libby.

40K Giveaway said...

IDICBeer: Thanks man, and you bet, to the blogroll you go!

Gary: Thanks, the pants are a mix of codex and bleached bone, with some badab wash in there. I think the bb gives it a warmer, worn cloth look...that's the idea anyway

Smytus: I'll do both eventually, but I'm kind of leaning towards the th/ss right now. Since three new starter is rumored to have tac terms, i kind of want to waitand check those out

Pchappel: awesome, I will definitely check those pics...may even post them here, glad he's finding use. Not ex GI myself, just interested and a reader of ex Gi's books

Dat: thanks man! I think hobby wise I'm more interested in the th/ss, so that might decide it

Poppa: I like those pairings, I think I'll steal the idea!

IDICBeer said...

Cheers dude :D